I got a story. A couple of weeks ago I was tabling for my university’s VOX (Planned Parenthood) chapter. I’m mostly there to recruit, telling people about our campaigns, and what we do—nothing special. Some dude walking by saw my table and yelled really loudly “ABSTINENCE! Just sayin’.” and then walked off. I just stare at him like “WTF ARE YOU? What is your problem?”. Seriously, from him you would’ve thought I was representing the Orgy Enthusiasts Club or something.
Mod addition: Ahahaha. Oh man, that reminds me of the time a guy in an elevator called me a whore because I offered a condom, and then told me “I don’t need those, I’m married” like being married means you can’t be subject to unwanted pregnancies or STIs. Oh people.
You’ve probably heard the “show the woman the ultrasound before they have an abortion” arguments, but I just read a good piece on it that re frames it as something of a slut-shaming tactic. I thought you might want to read/share it.
Possible trigger: slut shaming, rape Alternative titles for HR3
—since it is officially named the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act”, which is a total misnomer given that that already exists in the form of the Hyde Amendment (I mean, it’s pretty clearly a gimmick to get public support [for something that already passed I can’t even]).
Anyway, some alternative and equally misleading titles for HR3:
- The We Love Kittens Why Don’t You Act
- The Did You Know Bin Laden Loved Abortions Act
- The Sluts Hate Cupcakes Act
- The I Hear that Women Who Have Sex Also Kick Puppies Act
Or, maybe they could go with an outright honest title for their bill.
- The You Were Raped? Have You Considered That It Was All Your Fault? Act
- The Women Are Sluts/Blame Eve Act
- The Hold On Just One Second Young Lady If You Think You’re Going to Be Responsible For Your Own Reproductive Choices You’re Sorely Mistaken Act
- The I Don’t Give Two Shits About Your Rights Act.
This is fantastic.
Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.), speaking to a right-wing women’s group in Florida. Wait for it…