I don’t think you know what slut-shaming is, or you’re being deliberately obtuse. However, congratulations on finally including a link with one of your accusations (albeit not a link to any actual slut-shaming or even any examples of things that Rebecca Watson and other feminists have said about “Elevator Guy”).
Elevator Guy wasn’t “slut-shamed”, and if you knew what slut-shaming was you would know that.
This is what was said by Rebecca Watson herself, and what started the entire shitstorm (copied from Manboobz, a site you could really benefit from):
“So I walk to the elevator, and a man got on the elevator with me and said, ‘Don’t take this the wrong way, but I find you very interesting, and I would like to talk more. Would you like to come to my hotel room for coffee?’
Um, just a word to wise here, guys, uh, don’t do that. You know, I don’t really know how else to explain how this makes me incredibly uncomfortable, but I’ll just sort of lay it out that I was a single woman, you know, in a foreign country, at 4:00 am, in a hotel elevator, with you, just you, and–don’t invite me back to your hotel room right after I finish talking about how it creeps me out and makes me uncomfortable when men sexualize me in that manner.”
Would you look at that? Not once did she mention the word slut! Not once did she say “It’s bad when men have sex!”. There was no mention of how disgusting the guy was, or how he deserved to get sexually assaulted because of how he was dressed! You know, the things that actually are slut-shaming.
She said he made her uncomfortable, because she was in a very vulnerable position and she had already said how much that kind of behavior makes her uncomfortable. So elevator guy didn’t respect her wishes as far as sexuality is concerned, which makes him a creep and an asshole, not a slut. So when the blogger you linked said that “she (meaning he) didn’t push [himself] on [her]”, that is not true - he had already disregarded her feelings about being propositioned for sex once, she had no guarantee that he wouldn’t do it again in a more aggressive way, which leads to being creeped out. No one even called him a slut for that (not that anyone seriously calls men sluts anyway, or that it has any social power even if they try). They did call him a creep, though, and rightfully so. That’s what happens when you disregard people’s feelings about sexuality in an elevator alone at 4 am.
So, TL:DR, you can stop using words you don’t understand to try to discredit feminists.
Also, totally on the side, it’s incredibly telling that the only people who are still all hurty feelings about this are mostly men’s rights dudes who think it is their absolute right to be a creep in an elevator without a woman being able to complain about it on the internet. I’m so over elevator gate, and I’m sure you, my followers, are too. But god damn it it gets all over me when people try to co-opt feminist language just to make themselves think they’re more well-informed than they are or as some sort of “gotcha, feminists” when in actuality they’re not using the terms correctly at all (and they usually know it).
- unapologeticallyacanadianseal reblogged this from stfufauxminists
- thepersonyounevercaretoknow likes this
- iffeminismisforequality reblogged this from stfufauxminists and added:
- spoonstrek likes this
- freakingdork likes this
- disciplesofmalcolm likes this
- littleblackkittycat likes this
- karmean likes this
- thechargingsky likes this
- diabolicalnerd likes this
- resilienttbastard likes this
- stfufauxminists reblogged this from iffeminismisforequality and added:
- depressionparty likes this
- likevultures likes this
- tueften reblogged this from stfufauxminists and added:
- pricingham reblogged this from sanityscraps
- dormiensdraconis-hellebore reblogged this from sanityscraps
- big-bad-little-red reblogged this from stfufauxminists
- tumblr-magico reblogged this from stfufauxminists and added:
- buddygolly likes this
- thisthaisistheshit likes this
- lastallianceofelvesandmen likes this
- amy--lynnn likes this
- misanthropeofthemonth likes this
- moonsmilk likes this
- sanityscraps reblogged this from stfufauxminists
- sanityscraps likes this